Photo
- - - - -

Rebuilding Eden - Anyone Interested?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: The Poll (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Rebuild Eden?

1. Yes (13 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:55 PM

I see a lot of people still playing this game. Lots of people would rather play it over Minecraft because, despite being a lot simpler, there's something special about Eden. 

But as we know, it's no longer supported. And eventually it won't even be able to run on modern iOS devices anymore. 

I'm not sure how many people are still around here, but I figured I'd throw it out there. 

A while back, I was building a voxel engine (that's what Eden is). But it didn't get anywhere because I had too many other things to deal with in my life.

Now, I have time again. And so I thought about starting over and rebuilding Eden. Why? Because I personally want to play a game like Eden that's actually supported.

Would anyone be interested/willing to participate? We could, after getting the foundation built, expand it to include brand new features and improvements that don't currently exist in Eden. Additionally, we could write a tool that loads all your current Eden maps into the new game so that you don't lose any work. 

We will also be able to support more platforms easily, such as Android.

The only issue I have is artwork - I'm no artist and we can't use Eden's artwork legally. But before worrying too much about that, I'm just interested in seeing if anyone else would be interested in it or if this is really the end of Eden.

• mrob27 likes this

#2 The Octagon

The Octagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:15 AM

I think its a good idea

#3 Edgest

Edgest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:50 AM

I also think it is a good idea. I like the idea of making "a tool that loads all your current Eden maps into the new game."

It would be great if Ari told us something, but it probably won't happen.
Edgest 17'4 is the most current update to the original Edgest

Edgest City 1'2 Is the most current update for the new Edgest

#4 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:14 AM

Yeah, it would be nice if he would continue it. But I think it's reasonable to assume that won't happen - he also left the last major update in a fairly half-baked state. It's clear his motivation was gone. 

Well, I'll work on it. If Ari ever comes back and decides to get serious, he can take over again. We'll see. 

#5 Direct City - Brice

Direct City - Brice

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:11 AM

I don't want to stop Eden, It is a good idea Jason

#6 Dblcut3

Dblcut3

Super Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1801 posts
  • LocationUnited States Of America

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:06 PM

I'd be for it, but it would need similar artwork at least. I know this sounds like a dumb idea, but maybe we should try to pressure Ari to open source the game?

#7 Zora Marslink

Zora Marslink

I wonder...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:47 PM

If I had anything to offer I'd be glad to help.
  • Jason likes this

#8 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:17 PM

I'd be for it, but it would need similar artwork at least. I know this sounds like a dumb idea, but maybe we should try to pressure Ari to open source the game?

I'd prefer similar artwork as well. I'm no artist, though. Can anyone who is still active do pixel art? If not, I can look into hiring an artist when we get there. I'd like that to be a last resort, though, since it's costly and I'm not necessarily doing this for profit.

#9 sirgooey

sirgooey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:05 PM

make some sort of adventure mode that would be cool

• Jason likes this

#10 sirgooey

sirgooey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:06 PM

how does this work do you download it 

#11 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:09 PM

I'll probably make a PC/Mac/iOS/Android version of it. And worlds will be able to work on all 4 platforms and shared between them. I'll make it so you can have the option to load in a world from Eden, or make a new one yourself. And yes, it will be downloaded.

• Direct City - Brice likes this

#12 sirgooey

sirgooey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:55 PM

yes

#13 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:26 PM

It would be nice if Ari would open source the game, yes. I tried before to no avail.

#14 The Octagon

The Octagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:55 AM

Do you mean art work for the patterns and textures if the blocks? Menus?

#15 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:08 AM

Yes, block textures. Menus. Textures for creatures/monsters. Whatever we want to add, basically. We also need modeling for creatures. If anyone in this community would like to help out with that, that would be awesome.

Whatever we can't get I'll hire an artist for later (and will probably use filler stuff until then).

#16 Edgest

Edgest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:19 AM

I would be interested but at this moment I do not have experience with textures, I have a little bit of experience with modelling.

i am super busy right now and becuase of lack of experience with texturing. I probably won't be able to contribute till spring/summer of next year, but you will probably need the stuff before then.
Edgest 17'4 is the most current update to the original Edgest

Edgest City 1'2 Is the most current update for the new Edgest

#17 NotAnAssassin

NotAnAssassin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:08 AM

This is all an interesting concept, and I'm all for it. I have very little experience with being an artist, programmer, etc. But one thing I do enjoy is brainstorming new ideas and hopefully if the time comes, I may add suggestions
  • Jason likes this

-NAA

#18 The Octagon

The Octagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:36 PM

Are the programs for the pixel art costly?

#19 The Octagon

The Octagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:42 PM

I am pretty good artistically and work with prigrams like photoshop here and there when i am putting together renderings. I do bot have these programs on my personal comp though. If there is something i can put on my computer cheap that can assisit, i could help.

#20 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:18 PM

There are plenty of freely available art packages. GIMP, Paint.NET for example. You may be able to find specialized pixel editors (https://www.slant.co...-sprite-editors). Unfortunately, I'm no expert in these programs. It really is up to what you're comfortable with.

Hopefully we'll be able to make something out of this, and maybe attract a larger community back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users