Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1340 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:50 AM

My opinions:

1. Agree with profiles. I can't argue against multiplayer either, though it depends on how it is implemented.

2. I am not sure what you mean by this. Can't we edit terrain already? Or do you mean edit the terrain generator such that you can control what the output is? If so, then I think that would be neat.

3. Absolutely!

4. I've argued against this a lot in the past. I've come to be somewhat indifferent to it, although it would require that whoever plays the world also has those textures downloaded.

5. Yes, depending on how it is implemented. There are a lot of bad ways to implement this.

6. Agree.

7. If Ari found a way to make this work properly, then that would be neat as well.

8. Indifferent. 

9. Wouldn't mind Mac support :).

10. Hm... would open up a bunch of possibilities, actually. 

11. Sure.

12. Sure. 

• RowdyPants and GraysonG like this

#3 GraysonG

GraysonG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationEden :)

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:22 AM

My opinions:

1. Agree with profiles. I can't argue against multiplayer either, though it depends on how it is implemented.

2. I am not sure what you mean by this. Can't we edit terrain already? Or do you mean edit the terrain generator such that you can control what the output is? If so, then I think that would be neat.

3. Absolutely!

4. I've argued against this a lot in the past. I've come to be somewhat indifferent to it, although it would require that whoever plays the world also has those textures downloaded.

5. Yes, depending on how it is implemented. There are a lot of bad ways to implement this.

6. Agree.

7. If Ari found a way to make this work properly, then that would be neat as well.

8. Indifferent. 

9. Wouldn't mind Mac support :).

10. Hm... would open up a bunch of possibilities, actually. 

11. Sure.

12. Sure. 

Edit terrain such as hill/ mountain generator, water tool(deletes land to certain point and builds water in place) and a tool to help color multiple ground blocks at once, and maybe a bedrock black as well

GRAYSONS WORLD v9'7

426966729.eden

#4 BEANpp88

BEANpp88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:33 PM

If I understood your 11. point right, this is no problem:
Go in photo mode and screenshot then.
  • Michigander1 likes this

#5 ansin11

ansin11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:49 PM

Terrain editor? Like World Painter for Minecraft? Thats something a mobile device cant handle.

#6 NathanielBrusch

NathanielBrusch

Eden Elite Member?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:54 PM

Id fight for 12. That one would be easy
  • Edgest and GraysonG like this

#7 GraysonG

GraysonG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:04 PM

If I understood your 11. point right, this is no problem:
Go in photo mode and screenshot then.

Photo mode never works for me, and also different camera shots, I would like to have a panorama of my world 

Terrain editor? Like World Painter for Minecraft? Thats something a mobile device cant handle.

Which is why they need to upgrade and enable on desktop and mac

GRAYSONS WORLD v9'7

426966729.eden

#8 NathanielBrusch

NathanielBrusch

Eden Elite Member?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:11 PM

I disagree this is an APP. Thats the whole point it's NOT minecraft and it's NOT a mobile game
  • BEANpp88 likes this

#9 ansin11

ansin11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:34 PM

Yes Nathaniel. It is an app. Now Worl Painter works by making modifications in the save files. If you would want something like it for Eden you encounter these basic problems:
1.) You cant modify safe files on iOS using another app
2.) Exporting the modifications from the program to the save files the game uses can easily take up to 30 minutes (on a PC CPU, those have typically more speed and cache) and 5 or more GBs of RAM (all depending on the worlds seize and the amount of chunks merged with modified ones, this example would fit for ~3.5k x 3.5k blocks = 12,250,000 square blocks seen from above, don't forget the ones below these)

The next problem is the app itself; WP is a 2D tool, this makes it work efficiently, but if you let it render 3D previews of your modifications it becomes extremly CPU consuming (lag spikes on PC). If you would include a 2D world modification tool in Eden itself, you would have to add it as a new gamemode in the main menu; this would actually work, but it's basically a totally new program. Two programs in one app? Apple is going to be happy, the users who are on older iOS devices would be happy (RAM & computing power issues) and Ari would have a lot of coding work.
This based on that it would be implemented that way, the modification tool would have to load the whole world file that should be edited, nothing today's mobile devices can do, at least if you want to edit more than the normal render distance.

I would love it, tho top-down Terraforming with touch controls might be somewhat hairy... Anyways, adding a fly mode would be much easier and better to use at the current state.
Not hating or arguing, just saying what i think :)

• GraysonG likes this

#10 GraysonG

GraysonG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:42 PM

I disagree this is an APP. Thats the whole point it's NOT minecraft and it's NOT a mobile game

But why not push for a desktop version?

GRAYSONS WORLD v9'7

426966729.eden

#11 Dblcut3

Dblcut3

Super Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1784 posts
  • LocationUnited States Of America

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:48 PM

Id be supportive of a PC version. I really hate having to use my iPod to play Eden..

And with an Android port, would playing this on the OUYA be possible? I have a OUYA that I've barely even used.

#12 GraysonG

GraysonG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:53 PM

Id be supportive of a PC version. I really hate having to use my iPod to play Eden..

And with an Android port, would playing this on the OUYA be possible? I have a OUYA that I've barely even used.

But if eden does open up to other platforms i would hope they found a way to where all worlds would upload to one database, so all platforms weren't limited to that specific platform (which is something minecraft hasn't done)

GRAYSONS WORLD v9'7

426966729.eden

#13 Legend Of The Deep Oak

Legend Of The Deep Oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:03 PM

No, all we need right now are these:
Height limit raise
Small blocks
Android

The other stuff you suggested are just a bonus for what Eden should have to be
  • Edgest and Jeremy like this

#14 Bnm

Bnm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:07 PM

Height limit raise
Small blocks
Android

Fixing sky, portals, infinite cubes also.

#15 Direct City - Brice

Direct City - Brice

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:09 PM

It is on way with beta

#16 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1340 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:18 PM

I think it would be fine if it had OS X/Windows support as well. This game has nothing to do with Minecraft, and putting it on the desktop environment doesn't change this. In fact, Minecraft also exists as an "APP" on mobile. I don't understand the argument.

Yes Nathaniel. It is an app. Now Worl Painter works by making modifications in the save files. 

1.) You cant modify safe files on iOS using another app
2.) Exporting the modifications from the program to the save files the game uses can easily take up to 30 minutes (on a PC CPU, those have typically more speed and cache) and 5 or more GBs of RAM (all depending on the worlds seize and the amount of chunks merged with modified ones, this example would fit for ~3.5k x 3.5k blocks = 12,250,000 square blocks seen from above, don't forget the ones below these)

This would not have to happen this way. Functionality could exist within the game itself, and speed should not be an issue. I am not sure how World Painter works, though, so I can't speak exactly about it.

Height limit raise
Small blocks
Android

In my opinion, the first two of these are also included in the bonus realm. 

It is on way with beta

Does that include the infinite treasure cubes? I thought the answer was no, but you replied to a post which included it... 

#17 mrob27

mrob27

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:55 PM

I don't know what it means, but "infinite cubes" sounds like the best of all of these ideas. I'm putting all my support behind the infinite cubes. The others... meh.  :P

• Jason likes this

In the App Store, the 4th sample screen shot is from my world: Tokyo Unified Amuro'44121191'53 (compare)

x0N0ygg.png

The official version has the date 10/11/2015. Accept no substitutes™  ^_^  (I also figured out the file format)

#18 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1340 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:16 PM

(Except the portals part is awesome as well!)

... Well, [theoretically] unlimited cubes that can be placed would be nice. 

#19 mrob27

mrob27

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:20 PM

I know he means treasure cubes limited only by the size of memory or something like that. But infinite sounds so much more cool. It was sort of a joke.

But seriously, I think all of those things could be done in any app or program. Maybe it'll be up to Jason to try a few of those ideas in his program. (Off topic, so the topic police will get upset, but what the heck. Jason, do you want to try reading in Eden map files? The format is pretty easy.)

In the App Store, the 4th sample screen shot is from my world: Tokyo Unified Amuro'44121191'53 (compare)

x0N0ygg.png

The official version has the date 10/11/2015. Accept no substitutes™  ^_^  (I also figured out the file format)

#20 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1340 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:57 PM

I had some of them planned, but not all of them. What benefit will I gain from reading in Eden map files? Well... could try to copy our obstacle course world from Eden to my game or something, if I wrote some sort of program to make the necessary translations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users