#1 GraysonG

GraysonG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationEden :)

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:58 AM

Where did the mini blocks go? And the mega blocks too? I want these so bad!!!

Attached Files

GRAYSONS WORLD v9'7

426966729.eden

#2 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:52 AM

My assumption is that they introduced some nasty bugs that almost ruined Ari's motivation to continue development, hence the terribly long wait for the update and in the end they just had to be scrapped.

I may be wrong on that being why the update took so long, but I am convinced the reason this feature isn't in is because of bugs.

#3 Gunni

Gunni

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:43 AM

I think with mini blocks come alot of issues, which weighed out the benedizs they would bring

#4 Gunni

Gunni

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:43 AM

Lol benedizs

#5 Dblcut3

Dblcut3

Super Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1803 posts
  • LocationUnited States Of America

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:33 PM

I think that the new block expander is better than mega blocks, but the small blocks on the other hand... I hope they do eventually come.

#6 GraysonG

GraysonG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationEden :)

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:44 PM

I think that the new block expander is better than mega blocks, but the small blocks on the other hand... I hope they do eventually come.

YES! I would be happy with just mini blocks

GRAYSONS WORLD v9'7

426966729.eden

#7 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:23 PM

I mean, how would Ari do this? I'm guessing the entire voxel grid would have to be made 8 times larger and the blocks all made 8 times smaller, and then a normal block is comprised of 8 of the mini blocks put together. This way, the entire world is made of mini-blocks but they look like normal blocks because they are several mini ones together.

However, for a chunk of size 16 x 64 x 16 = 16,384 blocks, they would become 128 * 512 * 128 = 8,388,608 blocks. I don't know how Ari does his chunks, but this would have huge nasty performance implications I would think. 

Of course, maybe there's another way to do this without downsizing the entire world... technically, one can draw a much smaller block mesh. The problem is that the voxel grid still assumes each general cubic unit is 1 block, not multiple blocks. Ari would need some way to read in that the block at the given position is of a small enough size, and if that's the case, figure out where within that block a new smaller one can be drawn and draw it in there as well...

Hm, I suppose that could be possible actually. It seems a little ugly to me, though. But clearly Ari found some issues with whichever way he chose. 

#8 blockmaster1

blockmaster1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:30 PM

Benediz sounds like a type of wine lol

But yeah mini blocks must have been to buggy to include in the end

[]master1

#9 Michigander1

Michigander1

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:07 AM

I think half blocks should be implemented. Couldn't they just be half-[block chosen] and half-air-block?

#10 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:15 AM

Half blocks are much simpler to do since you generally just have a half block at that particular block location and don't pair half blocks with other half blocks to form a hybrid block. At least, I wouldn't think people would want that. 

#11 mrob27

mrob27

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:13 AM

I think half blocks should be implemented. Couldn't they just be half-[block chosen] and half-air-block?

That's what I think would be most useful actually. The existing slope/ramp blocks have 8 types I think, plus we want 4 more (upside down triangles or whatever you want to call it). If you had half blocks (called slabs in Minecraft) you only need 6 types ("walls" in 4 directions, floor, ceiling). Ari could do them pretty easily, and even just a few types (stone, brick, sand, wood or something like that) would be great. I guess the biggest problem is how to fit them in the menu. But if you make it work like the new expando-block, where you choose two blocks in a row, then the ramps only take up one spot in the menu, and then there's room to add the slab. And two spots left over to add something else. ;)

In the App Store, the 4th sample screen shot is from my world: Tokyo Unified Amuro'44121191'53 (compare)

x0N0ygg.png

The official version has the date 10/11/2015. Accept no substitutes™  ^_^  (I also figured out the file format)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users