#1 mrob27

mrob27

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:31 PM

In Eden 2.0 the "normal" world has a lot of terrain of different types, and there is an invisible wall all the way around the world.

I wanted to make a track that goes all the way around, but the corners were a bit of a challenge.

cdjcKKc.png

Here's how to build off the edge.

Find a place you want to build.

fKnzPk8.png

Place water on the edge.

FSbiTYy.png

Build onto the side of the water.

VgJdByq.png

Remove the first water, then place new water on the new blocks that you just built.

CWZi0tz.png

Extend the floor out as far as you want. Then build up or down off of it.

uc1hoil.png

You can use this to place unreachable objects past the edge of the world, or just make a wall around the edge so it doesn't look like you're about to fall off into space.

You can also build out past the corner, it just takes a few more steps.

Saving and reloading works fine. Mine got a little laggy a few times, I tried to figure out whether the lagging was because of the water or something else, but I didn't figure anything out.

• Martian, Jason, Vuenc and 6 others like this

In the App Store, the 4th sample screen shot is from my world: Tokyo Unified Amuro'44121191'53 (compare)

x0N0ygg.png

The official version has the date 10/11/2015. Accept no substitutes™  ^_^  (I also figured out the file format)

#2 danol

danol

danol

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:49 PM

So it should be possible to expand the worlds using a manipulation tool like vuenctools or?

Bye.

The small things are the things who change the world.

- Facebook(Direct City): https://www.facebook.com/edendirectcity

- Facebook(Eden Elite):https://www.facebook.com/Elite.Of.Eden

- German Eden fanpage: https://www.facebook.com/EdenWorldBuilderGerman

- Tumblr: http://david-nolte.tumblr.com 

#3 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1340 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:57 PM

Makes me wonder how he's storing his world data. Does the world system support theoretically infinite worlds, but he's just choosing to limit it to a specific size?

#4 Vuenc

Vuenc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:02 AM

I think he only limited the bounds in the "normal" terrain because he's using pregenerated terrain, but he's only limiting the bounds where you can walk. Flat worlds can still be theoretically infinite.
  • NinROCK3T likes this

#5 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1340 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:15 AM

Depends on how he's generating his terrain. Perlin and Simplex noise won't require any bounds to exist... 

But those pictures aren't of flat terrain, either.

#6 mrob27

mrob27

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:39 AM

The terrain is pre-generated. I described the format here:

http://forum.edengam...ge-4#entry18572

There are 180x180 chunks of 16x16x64 blocks, for a total of 2880x2880 blocks. It is run-length compressed and stored in a file called "Eden.eden" within the Eden app. It is exactly 55023840 bytes. The terrain in it does not include trees or arches, which are generated on-the-fly when needed.

fzbbkQJ.png

Because the terrain is pre-generated and is 2880x2880 blocks in size, Eden enforces the boundaries by putting invisible walls at those coordinates.

Eden 1.7 uses something like Perlin or simplex noise. For some reason (which as far as I know, Ari has not explained), Ari decided to remove this terrain generator from Eden. We might be able to convert maps from Eden 2.0 format to Eden 1.7 format (which means just removing the portals, light blocks, doors, etc.), then use Eden 1.7 to expand those worlds using the terrain generator, and then copy the savefile back to a device that has Eden 2.0.

As it is right now, my map program recognizes the header and table of contents but can't handle the compressed blocks, and generates this amusing image when told to map "Eden.eden" :

kPMX2Ae.png

but you can just barely make out the different areas of the world anyway.

• NinROCK3T and RowdyPants like this

In the App Store, the 4th sample screen shot is from my world: Tokyo Unified Amuro'44121191'53 (compare)

x0N0ygg.png

The official version has the date 10/11/2015. Accept no substitutes™  ^_^  (I also figured out the file format)

#7 BrixXx

BrixXx

Eden Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2099 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:56 AM

wait... you mean the format works without portal blocks etc? but my world uses light blocks and you made a map of it...I'm confused... maybe its just I have no idea about informatic and development .w.

My topic:
http://forum.edengam...-brixxx-worlds/
If you like my worlds, give my first topic-post a like :lol:
or vote with the poll ^_^

Here a Fan Video from Eden made by me: http://m.youtube.com...h?v=ml1Q78Qtu5M

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube....ser/SphaxDeluxe

#8 mrob27

mrob27

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:54 AM

I think all Ari did was add a few more block types. If my map program sees a block or colour that is out of range, it treats it as block type 0 (air) and colour 0 (uncoloured). So all the new blocks are effectively invisible in my maps, right now. if you looked close enough, or if you filled a big area with doors or something, all the doors would be invisible and you'd see whatever is underneath them.

I have a test world that I use to figure these things out. Someday I'll use it to figure out how the new blocks are encoded and add them to the g_blt[] table.

• BrixXx likes this

x0N0ygg.png

#9 ansin11

ansin11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:43 AM

Instead of using Block 0 and colour 0 you could use something stating it's a future block, like MC Edit does. I cant remember, does Eden use a block ID system similar to the one in Minecraft?

#10 Martian

Martian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:26 AM

You could troll people and place treasure cubes outside of the map that are impossible to reach!
  • Vuenc, Dblcut3, NinROCK3T and 1 other like this

#11 Ze German Potato

Ze German Potato

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:16 PM

That would be harsh
  • Direct City - Brice, Martian, Dblcut3 and 2 others like this

#12 NathanielBrusch

NathanielBrusch

Eden Elite Member?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:33 PM

When you build past the edge, does it allow to walk off it? or is there still an invisible wall after whatever block you extend?

#13 mrob27

mrob27

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:03 AM

Instead of using Block 0 and colour 0 you could use something stating it's a future block, like MC Edit does. I cant remember, does Eden use a block ID system similar to the one in Minecraft?

Oh yes, that's a good idea. I could have unknown block type show up in a special colour. You'd have to be able to pick your special colour too, that would need to be an option. Maybe it would be black/yellow diagonal stripes by default.

@NathanielBrusch, no the invisible wall is still there. But animals can go through the wall. And they love to hang out there and wait to attack.

jsLTMLX.png

RNTJj2l.png

4bIY6W8.png

... aaaaannndd, dead.

• NinROCK3T likes this

x0N0ygg.png

#14 mrob27

mrob27

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:18 AM

I finished making that track all the way around the standard world. I built it at bedrock level, which takes a reaaalllly long time. You have to dig 2880*12 = 34560 blocks, and place 2880*4 = 11520 blocks of ice. 46 thousand taps.

It turns out there are two places where the bedrock is one block higher. So there are a couple jumps on the track, and I had to put a ceiling above the jumps to limit the speed, otherwise it would fly way up in the air and hit the wall before reaching the turn. If I leave it running a while, it takes 11 minutes for each loop around the whole world.

I built an elevator at each corner just for fun. I plan to add stops at the places where two biomes meet. Here are 3 photos.

4AA8h25.png

YSYRg1f.png

iTJCBST.png

• Dblcut3, NinROCK3T, Michigander1 and 3 others like this

x0N0ygg.png

#15 mrob27

mrob27

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:46 AM

I am adding more tracks in this world, criss-crossing along all of the biome boundaries. It looks like I need two tracks north-south, and three or four east-west. There are definitely at least 12 distinct biomes. Here are two places where a boundary between two biomes meets the edge of the world:

gVcWS1X.png

0Q8Ebxo.png

• RowdyPants likes this

x0N0ygg.png

#16 Edgest

Edgest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:02 AM

Can you upload a version when you are done?
  • NinROCK3T likes this
Edgest 17'4 is the most current update to the original Edgest

Edgest City 1'2 Is the most current update for the new Edgest

#17 mrob27

mrob27

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:00 AM

Oh yeah, I'm going to!  :D

Heck, I'll do it now... here ya go:

World name: mrob27'worldtour'99108530'01

preview:

l8OMTgo.png

As seen in the preview picture, you'll start in between the forest with mountains, forest without mountains, mountains-only, and mountains-with-snow biomes. (Edit: no, that's wrong, the one to the northeast is mountains, desert, and occasional pyramids.)

There is a transit system at bedrock level. You can use it to get to all of the other biomes (I think -- I haven't finished criss-crossing all of them).

Map:

LNdTldE.jpg

The missing lines are places where I haven't finished making the tunnels.

Some of the biomes have small differences. The big square in the middle is riverbeta-style forest. The right half of it has water that goes five blocks deep right up to the shore. The left half has more normal type water where it's shallow near the shore.

Oh and I forgot to set home location. I don't remember where that sends you, but hey, there's a map  :P

• NinROCK3T and RowdyPants like this

x0N0ygg.png

#18 mrob27

mrob27

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:35 AM

Two more photos at the boundary between biomes:

gH4fN2H.png

EaRSu0M.png

• NinROCK3T likes this

x0N0ygg.png

#19 Michigander1

Michigander1

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:39 AM

There's an odd part of the purple rock biome where under it is the beach biome. I believe it is mid-top left on your map

#20 mrob27

mrob27

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:57 PM

Oh really? I'll look for it.

x0N0ygg.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users