#22 Vuenc

Vuenc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:46 PM

@Jason you're right, this should work very well. The only problem I see is with things like oceans/terrain generated by outside programs (like my tool) or big holes made with TNT as these will consume much memory, but probably the memory you save at other places of the world would compensate this.

#23 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1340 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:33 PM

Yes, the way I'm doing it is not extremely well suited to outside programs that can perform massive block modifications on a large scale. With that said, I don't think the game should really be designed to ensure it works optimally with modification by outside programs. I do think that there are ways to make it so such large scale changes by a modification tool shouldn't be terribly necessary. Examples: allowing the player to control the world's water level, and thereby create oceans of any height or have no oceans at all. In this way, only the water level is saved for the ocean and nothing else has to be.

It still may be desirable for a player to perform some modifications with an outside tool that simply wouldn't be reasonable to do using in-game functionality. But having a slightly higher file size (if it happens to be this way) will have to be the consequence for that. I do think it wouldn't be a big deal, to be honest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users