#1 Squidish

Squidish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationYour Nose

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:36 PM

I hope the title doesn't sound like some kind of Minecraft mod...

Okay, so once I started goofing around with portals, I knew these things needed some fixing. I really actually like the circular movement if there's multiple ones of the same color, and I'm sure some other people do, too. So, here's what should be done:

-A type of portal that has the circular movement

-A type of portal that links with the next one of the same color, all others are ignored

This next one is just a maybe feature.

-See through portals

Also, there are some bugs like not teleporting soon enough and you see through the wall. Portals in other chunks not being teleported too.

There is one genius part about the portals I love, though. If you teleport through a portal and 2 blocks ahead is a block, it is destroyed. 1 block ahead is not, but rather passed by. This is genius for adventure maps and one-way portals. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but I say keep it.

That's all I have to say.

• RowdyPants likes this

Hiya! I'm the creator of the Super Mario 3D World levels and Kanto Region!

My worlds:

-Super Mario 3D World levels:

Super Bell Hill, Conkdor Canyon, Snowball Park

-Kanto Region

Current version: 0.1.4

http://forum.edengam...2-kanto-region/

#2 danol

danol

danol

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:44 PM

First they should really work because if the chunk of the other portal isn't loaded you doesn't teleport. That's an huge bug and need to be fixed.

Bye.

The small things are the things who change the world.

- Facebook(Direct City): https://www.facebook.com/edendirectcity

- Facebook(Eden Elite):https://www.facebook.com/Elite.Of.Eden

- German Eden fanpage: https://www.facebook.com/EdenWorldBuilderGerman

- Tumblr: http://david-nolte.tumblr.com 

#3 Squidish

Squidish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationYour Nose

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:56 PM

Okay. Adding that too.

Hiya! I'm the creator of the Super Mario 3D World levels and Kanto Region!

My worlds:

-Super Mario 3D World levels:

Super Bell Hill, Conkdor Canyon, Snowball Park

-Kanto Region

Current version: 0.1.4

http://forum.edengam...2-kanto-region/

#4 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:11 PM

We did have significant discussion about this in my in-depth feedback topic, but thanks for also creating a separate topic.

We had said that portals should work this way:

Each portal links with the last portal of the same color that was placed. So if I place three portals, a, b, and c, we have a circular linking such that:

a -> b -> c

If I enter a, I go to b. If I enter b, I go to c. If I enter c, I go back to a again. This loops in a circular way while also allowing infinite portals to exist (theoretically of course).

The only issue I can think of relates to the situation where you might want to move a portal you placed in the middle of a complex chain. That will require deleting and placing a new one, which will disrupt the chain and cause the new one to be linked way at the end, forcing you to start over on all of them.

#5 Atlanta Ga Skyline

Atlanta Ga Skyline

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationAtlanta Ga

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:06 AM

Does anyone else have problems with portals working over long distances, because I have one deep in the desert and one in the beach biome and they work after I set them up (both are the same color) but if I exit the world and then rejoin it's like they've been disconnected because they don't transport me anymore. But the portals that a build that aren't that far away from each other have no problems.

#6 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:25 AM

Yes, that is a bug at the moment. It has caused me a lot of trouble as well. 

#7 mrob27

mrob27

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:44 AM

The portals are stored in the map as blocks, in the block chunk data just like normal blocks.

Eden loads some chunks into memory and then it knows about the portals. If you save and reload it doesn't know about the whole map anymore, just the chunks that are nearby.

To fix this, Ari would need to store the portals as movable entities, similar to creatures and treasure crystals. Then the entire list of portals would be available all the time. However there is a limit of 200 (190 animals plus 10 crystals) and I'm pretty sure he thought about increasing that limit but couldn't.

• Vuenc likes this

In the App Store, the 4th sample screen shot is from my world: Tokyo Unified Amuro'44121191'53 (compare)

x0N0ygg.png

The official version has the date 10/11/2015. Accept no substitutes™  ^_^  (I also figured out the file format)

#8 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:11 AM

Why would he have to do that? 

When you use the warp to home feature, it saves and reloads the world from your home location. All that has to happen is when you enter a portal, if the target portal's chunk isn't loaded, treat it like a home point. Save the world and reload it from that point. It's a bit slower than if the chunk is already loaded up, but at least it works just fine (and isn't slow enough to cause any issues, I wouldn't think).

#9 Vuenc

Vuenc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:17 AM

This doesn't work because the game just doesn't know about the target portal when it's in an unloaded chunk!

#10 mrob27

mrob27

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:43 AM

Why would he have to do that? 

When you use the warp to home feature, it saves and reloads the world from your home location. All that has to happen is when you enter a portal, if the target portal's chunk isn't loaded, treat it like a home point. Save the world and reload it from that point. It's a bit slower than if the chunk is already loaded up, but at least it works just fine (and isn't slow enough to cause any issues, I wouldn't think).

Okay, think this through. I have a blue portal here, and another one on the other side of the city.

I step into the blue portal. Now what happens?

It has to figure out if there are any other blue portals. It looks through the chunks in memory. No blue portal. Now what?

Start loading every chunk in the entire game, west to east, north to south. Look at every block. Oh, there's a blue portal! Except by now, it's done the equivalent of the "Loading" delay about a dozen times, and the player thinks the game has crashed and goes to the Home screen to play Plants vs. Zombies.

The only reason it can warp home quickly, is because the warp home location has its own place in the map file, and its own variables in memory. That's easy to do, because there is only one warp home location.

So why not make a list of "warp home" locations for all the portals? The list could have its own special area in the map file, and it would be kept in memory all the time. And.... that's how the animals are stored. So we're back to what I answered. Good idea!  :D

• Vuenc, Michigander1 and BrixXx like this

In the App Store, the 4th sample screen shot is from my world: Tokyo Unified Amuro'44121191'53 (compare)

x0N0ygg.png

The official version has the date 10/11/2015. Accept no substitutes™  ^_^  (I also figured out the file format)

#11 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:06 PM

So... I told you that I already made a portal system in my own voxel engine. Here is how it works:

Each portal has a variable for its target location. When you place a portal, this variable is defined to be the location of the portal placed. When you link the portal with another portal, the target location stores the location of the portal linked.

It really doesn't care about which chunks are loaded or not. If you unload every chunk, the portal still stores the location of where it is linked. It's just a location, it doesn't care about blocks.

Okay, so yes, this is more or less saying make a list of all the locations, though I'm not separating it from the blocks themselves. It's just a variable that's a part of the portal block class.

Now why is this a problem? Is it because by adding this variable, for every portal placed it has to store some extra data and you're thinking it would make file sizes too large?

I mean, come on, how many portals are people going to use? It would sure take a lot of them to make the file size too menacing. I think it's worth it, though, to have this sort of functionality.

To be more specific, your response was: 

"To fix this, Ari would need to store the portals as movable entities, similar to creatures and treasure crystals. Then the entire list of portals would be available all the time. However there is a limit of 200 (190 animals plus 10 crystals) and I'm pretty sure he thought about increasing that limit but couldn't."

And what I don't understand is why there needs to be a limit of 200 to begin with.

• Squidish likes this

#12 mrob27

mrob27

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:17 PM

And what I don't understand is why there needs to be a limit of 200 to begin with.

Yes, of course. Excellent question. And for that we need to ask Ari.

x0N0ygg.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users