Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1340 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:27 AM

Ari,

I know I included my concerns about treasure cubes in my in-depth feedback topic. But because I feel very strongly about this feature in particular, I feel it deserved its own topic.

Treasure cubes are one of the best features I could have for my (and Ashley's of course) obstacle course/adventure world. We have, prior to the update, built many secret paths and areas that were to reward treasure cubes.

Furthermore, we have been building 'hard mode' challenges in the world that would reward treasure cubes for completing them (which is part of the motivation to try them instead of doing the normal difficulty).

This adds a whole new element. It's about more than just 'getting to the end' with the treasure cubes. It's also about getting as many of the treasure cubes as possible by the time you get to the end. This means that not only is playing skill judged but so is exploration, and other such things.

This feature I was looking forward to the most of all features, but it is unusable to me because I am only allowed to place 10.

To summarize again what I really wish for: unlimited treasure cubes can be placed, and user of the world can see how many he/she has in relation to the total placed in the world.

If the player tries to place a cube, check to see if the player has collected any already. If no, increment the total amount of cubes in the world. If yes, take one the player collected and place it. So if I have 0/0 now, and place one, then it becomes 0/1. If I add another, 0/2. Now if I collect one that I placed, I have 1/2. If I place one now, it takes the one I collected out, so I have 0/2 again. But if I place another now, since I have none collected, I have 0/3. If I delete one in the world, it subtracts from the total: 0/2.

This behavior I think should work fine.

I really hope you consider this, and would love a response about it. Your response will help me determine how to keep building my world.

Thanks!
  • NinROCK3T and Squidish like this

#2 NathanielBrusch

NathanielBrusch

Eden Elite Member?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:09 PM

I support this idea
  • NinROCK3T likes this

#3 Edgest

Edgest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:32 PM

I support this idea also.
  • NinROCK3T likes this
Edgest 17'4 is the most current update to the original Edgest

Edgest City 1'2 Is the most current update for the new Edgest

#4 Squidish

Squidish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationYour Nose

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:03 PM

All for this idea.

• NinROCK3T likes this

Hiya! I'm the creator of the Super Mario 3D World levels and Kanto Region!

My worlds:

-Super Mario 3D World levels:

Super Bell Hill, Conkdor Canyon, Snowball Park

-Kanto Region

Current version: 0.1.4

http://forum.edengam...2-kanto-region/

#5 NinROCK3T

NinROCK3T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1244 posts
  • LocationGabe City, MI!

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:11 PM

Yo también!
  • NinROCK3T likes this
IMMA THROW STUFF!!! YouTube: ninrock3t

#6 mrob27

mrob27

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:16 AM

I believe treasure cubes are stored along with animals. There are 200 spots for animals right now, and that takes up 12,000 bytes so it's 60 bytes per item. Maybe Ari could make it 100 treasure cubes, and expand the animal storage area to 300 spots. It would also change the map data file (because now there is always 12000 bytes before the table of contents and the app can always count on that).

But would you be happy with only 100? It kind of sounds like you designed a map that needs multiple hundreds of crystals, or even 1000...

• BrixXx likes this

In the App Store, the 4th sample screen shot is from my world: Tokyo Unified Amuro'44121191'53 (compare)

x0N0ygg.png

The official version has the date 10/11/2015. Accept no substitutes™  ^_^  (I also figured out the file format)

#7 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1340 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:34 AM

I wouldn't be happy with any fixed amount, because it doesn't scale. Regardless of how many I need, I like to know that I can theoretically keep expanding my world and be able to use treasure cubes where I need them.

Of course, you're ultimately limited by file size. Can only store so much on a device. However, shouldn't how much is stored be up to the player? One could set a sort of maximum, but it's unlikely any player would ever reach it on today's devices. 

Ari's job should be finding ways to reduce the size of saved information as much as possible. Run-length encoding. Save only modified blocks, not whole chunks. Find clever ways to save less. Save seeds, instead of blocks. Etc. 

#8 Vuenc

Vuenc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:22 AM

@mrob Why are they stored along with the creatures? Couldn't they just be stored like normal blocks?

#9 mrob27

mrob27

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:13 AM

I would have made them like the new flower blocks, except with a sparkly cube instead of a flower, and if you step into the block it would make the sound and the block would disappear (turn into an "air" block). But it's not so easy...

There needs to be a way to show how many crystals you have found: a counter on the screen. If the crystals are just blocks in the map, then how does the game figure out how many crystals you've picked up so far? A new variable in the header, alongside the home location.

And how does it figure out how many crystals are left, still not yet found? That's the real problem. Search through the whole map (very slow) or store the crystals in a special data block that is always in memory. Just like how the creatures are already being handled. So... yeah. That's the easiest way to do it.

In the App Store, the 4th sample screen shot is from my world: Tokyo Unified Amuro'44121191'53 (compare)

x0N0ygg.png

The official version has the date 10/11/2015. Accept no substitutes™  ^_^  (I also figured out the file format)

#10 Vuenc

Vuenc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:25 AM

Why not just save two variables in the header? One for the cubes already found, one for the total amount

#11 mrob27

mrob27

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:20 PM

Why not just save two variables in the header? One for the cubes already found, one for the total amount

Excellent question. (And Jason's question of "why there needs to be a limit of 200 to begin with") in the portals thread, was also excellent). We'd have to ask Ari.

Again, hypothetically if it were me, I'd worry about the two counts getting out of sync with the number of cubes in the actual map. Scanning through the shole map would be the only way to be sure.

x0N0ygg.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users