Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Can someone map the standard normal world for the update?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Michigander1

Michigander1

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:52 AM

What the title says.

#2 Nick Art

Nick Art

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:14 AM

Why?

#3 Michigander1

Michigander1

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:42 AM

Because all of the biomes are in random places in the normal world and we could see all of them if it was mapped.

#4 Nick Art

Nick Art

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:46 AM

That won't be possible due to the world is generated randomly and the maps only show you the areas that have been loaded ingame -> only the areas that you have been to in the world
  • Direct City - Brice likes this

#5 Michigander1

Michigander1

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:23 PM

I've wondered through a lot of a world

#6 Dante

Dante

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:51 AM

I've wondered through a lot of a world

Right, but the issue here is you want the entire world mapped out, yes?
A. We don't know if the biomes and their formations are random or set.
B. We don't know if the placement of each assigned chunk is relative to procedural generation.
C. There is no way of piecing together an infinite puzzle because:
Sub A. An infinite puzzle has infinite pieces
Sub B. Eventually you will find two pieces that look different but seem to fit in the same spot creating an existential conflict between the two purposes.
D. There is no way of determining if the worlds are cut out of one larger map that was pregenerated because in order to do that (assuming it was possible) we would have to test our variables (chunks) in relation to their surrounding chunks, and there is always the possibility of getting the same chunk repetitively leading to the idea that maybe the world is not infinite, when in fact reproduction of a result does not result in the desired product. Basically: an expansion of A.

#7 Michigander1

Michigander1

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:57 AM

It's not a randomly generated world. The spawn point in river biome is always the same, and it's not infinitely generating. I personally when I. Create worlds they are always exactly the same. That's why I thought this was like river beta. But if that's not the case than I understand why you can't map it.
  • Vuenc likes this

#8 Vuenc

Vuenc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:12 PM

I tried to map it, but it seems like the save system was changed essentially. I tried around a bit and it seems like the game only saves the chunks where I changed something (placed a block or something), the others are not saved. This works on generated terrain as well as on flat land.

So I can't map the generated terrain, because I'd have to build a block in every single chunk.

I'm still not sure how the terrain gen works. I can't find a file where the terrain could be taken from, so it must be generated by the game. But on the other hand, it's always the same terrain. Maybe ari didn't randomize it yet? I don't know.

• Michigander1 likes this

#9 mrob27

mrob27

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:51 PM

Sadly, my game is so crippled I can't reach the new world button or the blocks palette. I can only build with brick. (pictures at http://imgur.com/a/7KsyD#0 which I already showed in other posts)

I'll email Ari and ask about using a unique per-world "seed" and quasi-random number generator like he did before. It shouldn't cause any impact on the game's speed or functionality, unless maybe he found that mixing biomes in a world is too hard to do unless it's just set up with one pre-set pattern.

"only saves the chunks where I changed something"

Okay, then why not go around and manually place blocks in each chunk? It doesn't take long. Use dark pink light blocks, they don't seem to be good for much else   :D

Have you figured out if there's a table of contents (list of pointers to the terrain blocks, like in the old format)?

• Dblcut3 and NathanielBrusch like this

In the App Store, the 4th sample screen shot is from my world: Tokyo Unified Amuro'44121191'53 (compare)

x0N0ygg.png

The official version has the date 10/11/2015. Accept no substitutes™  ^_^  (I also figured out the file format)

#10 Vuenc

Vuenc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:10 PM

You mean the list of chunks? It must be there because my program can still read the files and map them without a problem. But I didn't have the time to really analyze what changed with the format

#11 Michigander1

Michigander1

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:41 PM

It took me about 5-8 minutes to get from spawn to edge, then another 5-8 to get to corner. It would take an hour to outline the world at most, so if I have a chance I can do that later tonight. An outline can give us a rough idea where the biomes are.

#12 Vuenc

Vuenc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:41 PM

Would be great!

You must place a block at least every 16 blocks I think, so every chunk on the outline will be covered

#13 mrob27

mrob27

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:33 AM

You mean the list of chunks? It must be there because my program can still read the files and map them without a problem. But I didn't have the time to really analyze what changed with the format

Oh, that's very good news. If vuenctools sees stuff and makes a map then we're pretty much home free. But you're seeing lots of holes right? blank areas where nothing has been dug or built?

I suspect that the doors, portals, steel blocks, fireworks blocks and light blocks are just 5 new block IDs which will add to the end of the list we already have.

I think treasure crystals will show up in the list of creatures (they're like creatures that don't move under their own power).

The biggest changes are obviously to do with how all the new biomes are created and how they're (not) being saved in a file anywhere... and maybe the sky color thing.

In the App Store, the 4th sample screen shot is from my world: Tokyo Unified Amuro'44121191'53 (compare)

x0N0ygg.png

The official version has the date 10/11/2015. Accept no substitutes™  ^_^  (I also figured out the file format)

#14 mrob27

mrob27

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

It took me about 5-8 minutes to get from spawn to edge, then another 5-8 to get to corner. It would take an hour to outline the world at most, so if I have a chance I can do that later tonight. An outline can give us a rough idea where the biomes are.

If you have Vuenctools or my program I guess you could try a few things.

It would be quick to just walk along the boundaries between each type of terrain, and don't go more than a minute or two in each direction then follow your trail to get back. Just to give us a start on seeing how the central area is laid out.

x0N0ygg.png

#15 Vuenc

Vuenc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:57 AM

Jep there are holes everywhere where nothing was changed. Not in the old maps of course, nothing changed there.

#16 NathanielBrusch

NathanielBrusch

Eden Elite Member?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

I have already started walking along the right edges all the way. So far I have a right angle made

#17 The Octagon

The Octagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:22 PM

Can you place a flower on any kind of block?

#18 Vuenc

Vuenc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:47 PM

Yes, you can even place flowers on flowers :D

They're just like an own kind of block

• BrixXx likes this

#19 BrixXx