#21 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1340 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

Nah, black holes just compress things down into a very dense state. They aren't portals to another location...

#22 Zora Marslink

Zora Marslink

I wonder...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

Can something that exists only in the mind be measured? If what clocks measure doesn't exist, how are clocks able to measure it?

#23 Zora Marslink

Zora Marslink

I wonder...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:20 PM

Nah, black holes just compress things down into a very dense state. They aren't portals to another location...

They are "death" hole lol

#24 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1340 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:25 PM

Can something that exists only in the mind be measured? If what clocks measure doesn't exist, how are clocks able to measure it?

I mean, time exists in the sense that if an object exists now and then keeps existing, the length of its existence can be measured based on a human-made scale. 

But the argument I'm making is that time isn't like some physical force. It isn't a force such as gravity or such as magnetism. It's just the inevitable consequence of things existing continuously without ceasing to be. It's just the length of the existence of everything, and it isn't local to an object. It's a universal global constant thing. 

So to say that time can be modified for one object seems insensible to me, because I don't see it as local to any objects to begin with.

#25 Zora Marslink

Zora Marslink

I wonder...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

Here is the problem: when an object goes really fast that object "fast forwards" time to a degree. If a clock was placed inside a vehicle and that vehicle traveled near the speed of light for a year the time passed on the clock would be less than a year.

#26 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1340 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

How does it fast forward time? If anything, all that is modified is the physical properties of that object. The particles behave differently at that speed. But how does that relate to time? The hands of the clock are made of particles, too, and so may not move like they would have otherwise.

In other words, a clock moving at that speed can't function properly due to the particles behaving differently. And again, how does that relate to time? 

#27 tsarofhvalfyurden

tsarofhvalfyurden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationNunya bizness

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

Time is entirely relative. You can't be old unless someone is younger than you, something can't be short unless theres something longer, and something can't be faster unless something is slower.

Tsar Henryk of the UFKC.

Please visit ufkchesnekovia.simdif.com for more details

#28 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1340 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:39 PM

That's true. Does it change anything I said?

#29 NinROCK3T

NinROCK3T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1244 posts
  • LocationGabe City, MI!

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:21 PM

It's been proven that time speeds up as objects speed up. So clocks actually are affected by this!

IMMA THROW STUFF!!! YouTube: ninrock3t

#30 ▒AJ▒

▒AJ▒

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:48 PM

It's actually the other way around. Time slows down for moving objects relative to the things around it.

Time doesn't have anything to do with human perception. Matter has properties that move chronologically, and these properties are constant. If I put a clock on a spaceship and sent the spaceship moving at 99% the speed of light around the galaxy and back, it would arrive back here in several million years, despite the clock having moved only decades chronologically.

Time might not be a force in the same sense as gravity or electromagnetism, but it very certainly exists. Anything that can affect matter exists.
  • Vuenc likes this

K6zDyp1l.jpg

Elysian City by AJ v7

#31 ▒AJ▒

▒AJ▒

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:53 PM

Another odd fact I learned a while ago. Even gravity is subject to the effects of time. The effects of gravity propagate at the speed of light. This means that if the Sun vanished for whatever reason, earth would continue orbiting the spot where the sun used to be for around 8 minutes after the Sun disappeared.
  • Michigander1 likes this

K6zDyp1l.jpg

Elysian City by AJ v7

#32 Babblecat

Babblecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:55 PM

Watch Planet of the Apes
Babblecat CityV19 Golden Gate Bridge

My Thread: http://forum.edengam...blecats-worlds/
My Wiki Page: http://edenworldbuil.../Babblecat_City

#33 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1340 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:40 AM

It's been proven that time speeds up as objects speed up. So clocks actually are affected by this!

This says absolutely nothing, so I'll disregard that. 

Time doesn't have anything to do with human perception. Matter has properties that move chronologically, and these properties are constant. If I put a clock on a spaceship and sent the spaceship moving at 99% the speed of light around the galaxy and back, it would arrive back here in several million years, despite the clock having moved only decades chronologically.

Matter has properties that move. Yes. Constant? Hm... if you're talking about its consecutive existence, then yes. But that actually isn't anything at all in that case.

My problem here is with the clock part. So it didn't move nearly as much. But that would be a property of how particles behave in response to their velocity in space, not "time".

I mean, clocks basically know nothing of time. They just have a mechanical part that moves around in a way humans decided to have them move around. If it's moving slower, it says nothing about time but rather of particle behavior.

Time might not be a force in the same sense as gravity or electromagnetism, but it very certainly exists. Anything that can affect matter exists.

Time doesn't 'affect' matter, I wouldn't say. Time is just the result of matter existing.

#34 NinROCK3T

NinROCK3T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1244 posts
  • LocationGabe City, MI!

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:47 AM

"This says absolutely nothing"

Actually, it did.

#35 tsarofhvalfyurden

tsarofhvalfyurden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationNunya bizness

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:53 AM

Yes Jason, but anywho, we have not ever talked about parallel universes practically on here haha. We just keep talking about all the dimension types and time haha.

So to respark the initial conversation, let me ask one question; What if the reason why you can't push your hand through a mirror is because in an indentical parallel universe, the person behind the mirror is pushing back against you in the exact same manor due to the parallel dimension properties.

Tsar Henryk of the UFKC.

Please visit ufkchesnekovia.simdif.com for more details

#36 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1340 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:00 AM

Or you can't because it's a solid object and the atoms are too closely packed together to allow your hand to go through?

Wait, is this supposed to be some imaginative conversation for fun and not exactly realistic? 

#37 NinROCK3T

NinROCK3T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1244 posts
  • LocationGabe City, MI!

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:02 AM

Jason, you need to learn to have fun!

• NinROCK3T likes this

#38 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1340 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:12 AM

How did you logically draw the conclusion that I don't know how to have fun? Perplexing... 

#39 NinROCK3T

NinROCK3T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1244 posts
  • LocationGabe City, MI!

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:32 AM

I've never seen you have fun. You seem cold-hearted honestly.

• NinROCK3T likes this

#40 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1340 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:42 AM

Then again, you hardly know anything about me at all. So I suppose that's expected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users